COTEHELE is a medieval house with Tudor additions, situated in the parish of Calstock, in the east of Cornwall. It is a rambling granite and slate-stone manor house on the banks of the River Tamar that has been little changed over five centuries. Probably originating circa 1300, the main phases of building appear to have … Continue reading
LANHYDROCK House is regarded as Cornwall’s most complete Victorian country home. It stands in 360 hectares above the River Fowey and it has been owned and managed by the National Trust since 1953. Much of the present house dates back to Victorian times but some sections date from the 1620s. Lanhydrock estate belonged to the … Continue reading
ST IVES lies north of Penzance and west of Camborne on the coast of the Celtic Sea. In former times it was commercially dependent on fishing. The decline in fishing, however, caused a shift in commercial emphasis, and the town is now primarily a popular seaside resort. St Ives was incorporated by Royal Charter in … Continue reading
PENZANCE is the most westerly major town in Cornwall. Situated in the shelter of Mount’s Bay, the town faces south-east on to the English Channel. The name Penzance is derived from the Cornish Pen Sans, meaning holy headland, as a chapel once stood on the point to the west of the harbour more than 1,000 … Continue reading
FALMOUTH, on the Fal estuary on Cornwall’s south coast, boasts one of the largest natural harbours in the world and is the gateway to a beautiful network of rivers and creeks. The town is home to Cornwall’s maritime heritage and has had a long and involved history since its foundation in the Elizabethan period. For … Continue reading
A fiercely cold but cloudless winter’s day on the pebble beach at Budleigh Salterton, Devon.
The tiny church of Thomas a Becket at Fairfield on Romney Marsh dates from the late 12th century and sits isolated in a field cut through with dykes and grazed by sheep. The houses of the original medieval inhabitants of Fairfield have long since disappeared. Constructed with a wooden frame and walls of wattle and … Continue reading
The historic church of St Clement’s at Old Romney was constructed in the mid-12th century with just nave and chancel; the aisles were added in the 13th century. The interior takes the visitor by surprise with its 18th century minstrels’ gallery and box pews, all painted pink. The latter transformation was carried out by Walt … Continue reading
Not far from Rye is the weird ‘sixth continent’ that is Dungeness and the late film director Derek Jarman’s famous garden.
THE little East Sussex town of Rye used to be on the coast and the haunt of smugglers; now it is two miles inland and attracts tourists and film crews. In medieval times, it was an important member of the Cinque Ports confederation, almost entirely surrounded by the sea. But 13th century storms transformed the … Continue reading